Healthy Homemade Sweet Potato Fries
These are so tasty you won’t believe you’re eating healthy! You may think nothing this good for you should taste so good…or be this easy to cook. But think again!
Not only are sweet potatoes sweet to your taste buds, but they’re also good for your cardiovascular health. They’re low on the Glycemic Index and are slowly released in your blood. This starchy root vegetable is a rich source of flavonoid anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber that are essential for optimal health. Low in calories, zero fat, zero cholesterol!
This recipe below makes 6 servings.
5-6 sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips (I like leaving the skin on for extra flavor and nutrients)
2-3 tbsp olive oil, or coconut oil
1 tbsp Italian seasoning mix (optional)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
• Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Mussels with thyme
and sweet potato fries.
• Place strips in a plastic bag (preferably a zip-lock bag), add olive oil, Italian seasoning mix, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.
• Close and shake the bag until every piece is evenly coated.
• Spread the strips out in single layers on two large baking sheets.
• Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until crispy and brown on the outside and tender inside. Thinner strips may not take as long. Make sure to turn the fries over every 10 minutes while baking.
These healthy sweet potato fries are delicious no matter how you eat them. Try them plain, or dip in honey mustard sauce, ketchup, or even a little organic Greek yogurt with curry powder and a splash of hot sauce. I like mine with a little spicy salsa, or sometimes just with ketchup mixed with Sriracha chili sauce. Hmmm…yumm!